Ioannis Tziakos, Ph.D.
I received my degree in physics from the University of Patras, Hellas (GR) 2002. I continued on acquiring an MSc in electronics from the Physics Department, University of Patras, Hellas (GR) 2005. Since Decemnber 2010, I hold a PhD awarded from Queen Mary, University of London.
My PhD research in, "Subspace discovery for video anomaly detection" was supervised by Prof. Andrea Cavallaro and was supported by an EPSRC/CASE Project in collaboration with BT Research & Venturing.
I enjoy programming and I am particularly interested in methods of dimensionality reduction and manifold learning to improve machine learning and the application in real-world problems such as video analysis, data mining and related pattern recognition fields.
- Local arrangements chair for the 4th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal based Surveillance (AVSS 2007)
- Web-chair for the 3rd ACM/IEEE International Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC 2009)
- Web-chair for the 7th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal based Surveillance (AVSS 2010)
- Meritorious service award -- (3rd ACM/IEEE International Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras, 2009, Como, Italy)
- Best video presentation in the MMV Group -- (Research open day 2008, Electronic Engineering, Queen Mary University of London, London)
- Best poster award --(BMVA Summer School, 2007, University of East Anglia, Norwich)
- I. Tziakos, A. Cavallaro, and L.-Q. Xu, "Event monitoring via local motion abnormality detection in non-linear subspace", Neurocomputing, Special Issue on Subspace learning, vol. 73(10-12), 2010, pp. 1881-1891
- I. Tziakos, C. Theoharatos, N. Laskaris, and G. Economou, "Color image segmentation using Laplacian Eigenmaps," Journal of Electronic Imaging, vol. 18(2), 2009
- I. Tziakos, A. Cavallaro, L.-Q. Xu, "Video event segmentation and visualisation in non-linear subspace", Pattern Recognition Letters, Volume 30, Issue 2, 15 January 2009, pp. 123-131
- I. Tziakos, A. Cavallaro, and L.-Q. Xu, "Local abnormality detection in video using subspace learning", in Proc. Of IEEE Conf on Advanced Video and Signal-Based Surveillance (AVSS), Boston, USA, 29 Aug - 1 Sept 2010
- I. Tziakos, N. Laskaris and S. Fotopoulos, "Multivariate Image Segmentation using Laplacian Eigenmaps", in Proc. of European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO) , Sept. 2004, Vienna, Austria, pp 945-948.
- Master Thesis "Image Segmentation using Laplacian Eigenmaps", 2005. Advisor: Prof. Spiros Fotopoulos. Co-advisor: Dr. Nikolaos Laskaris.
- Final year project "Motorola evaluation board 56002 and MatLab communication toolbox". Advisor: Prof. Evangelos Zigouris.